Immigration—Two Opposing Approaches and Views.
Choose one of three topic choices listed below on the subject of diversity to write a brief paper on the subject. Each topic explores two different approaches to diversity during the 60-year period after the Civil War (1865–1925). The dynamic between the two approaches will have a profound impact on our history then—and now.
Use the other sources listed with each topic below. It is important that you review these sources carefully because your paper should use a minimum of three sources from the list below. The SOURCES AND TIPS sheet posted will be especially helpful for properly citing your sources in the paper—make use of it.
TOPIC CHOICE ONE: Empowering African Americans—Two Strategies
Here you will focus on the approaches of Booker T. Washington and W. E. B. Du Bois. Other noted names and certainly different organizations will become part of your inquiry. Washington’s famous 1895 “Atlanta Compromise” speech (labeled such later by critics) sets the tone. One might find virtues, problems and successes associated with both strategies. You might see elements of each in strategies of later leaders and related issues even today.
TOPIC CHOICE TWO: Getting Women the Vote—Two Strategies
Here you will focus on the approaches of two organizations and some names associated with each. These are the NAWSA (National American Woman Suffrage Association; later the League of Women Voters) and the NWP (National Women’s Party). You will identify the strategic approach and key players in each as they pursued the common goal of getting women the right to vote. One might find virtues, problems and successes associated with both strategies. You might see elements of each in strategies of later leaders and related issues even today.
Sources: Schultz, p. 364–366. Also see https://www.womenshistory.org/education-resources/biographies/carrie-chapman-catt on one of the leaders of the NAWSA; on the NWP’s Alice Paul, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GDe4DkZN2A ; and https://americanhistory.si.edu/blog/2012/05/alice-paul-champion-of-woman-suffrage.html.
TOPIC CHOICE THREE: Immigration—Two Opposing Approaches and Views
Here you will focus on two opposing views of immigration and its impact on American culture and life. These are visible in the late 1800s and early 1900s, in a time when immigration was skyrocketing for a long period; but significant restrictions would come into play. One view is represented by lines of a famous poem on the base of the Statue of Liberty. The other view finds its place in laws restricting immigration. One might find virtues, problems and successes associated with one or both strategies. You might see elements of each in strategies of later leaders and related issues even today.
Sources: Schultz, p. 334–5, 348–9, 358–9, 408–9. Look for events and issues like the opening of Ellis Island, the melting pot idea, the Chinese Exclusion Act, and the National Origins Act. Also see the poem on the Statue of Liberty base: https://www.nps.gov/stli/learn/historyculture/colossus.htm . And see http://college.cengage.com/history/wadsworth_9781133309888/unprotected/ps/chinese_exclusion_act.htm .
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- ** Assignment must be typed, double spaced between lines, using Times New Roman font, Calibri, Arial, or Courier (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and sources must follow SWS format.
- **You must have a Sources list at the end; each source listed must also be cited in the body of the paper with an in-text citation.
- **Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date you submit.
- **The cover page and the Sources page are not included in the required assignment length.
· The body of the paper should be five paragraphs and a total of 500-to-800 words in length. The 500 minimum is firm; you really have not adequately developed the paper if less than that. The 800 maximum is a loose guideline. The body of the paper is to be double-spaced. Typically, if you follow these instructions, the body of your paper will be 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 pages in length; add a page for your title page and another for your sources list and that then gets to 4-1/2-to 5/1/2. But, the length requirement is evaluated by word count.
All types of papers including essays, college papers, research papers, theses, etc., and other custom-written materials which EssayTutorHub.com provides to the customers are exclusively for the purpose of assistance. All these texts are unique and can be further used with proper references only.