How many Japanese Troops were involved in the Battle of Iwo Jima?.
- Read Chapter 13 and watch the video below on the Firebombing of Japan before you start work on this assignment.
- Closely read the scenario, the pre-briefing questions, and the problem before starting your work.
- You will be doing research on key members of the meeting and the various options open to the U.S.
- Submit a 2-3 page pre-brief summary and your recommendation to the President and your rationale for that recommendation. 2-2.5 pages will be your pre-brief and .5-1 page will be your recommendation to the President and your rationale for that decision.
The President and Fog of War Scenario
Read the following scenario. The time is July of 1945. You have been asked by the President of the United State Harry S. Truman to attend a meeting with the following people: (before you do anything else do some research to find out who they are)
- General Leslie Groves,
- General George Marshal,
- Henry Stimpson,
- General Curtis LeMay, and
- Edward Stettinius, Jr.
The meeting is to discuss the final act of the Pacific War.
The Fog of War
Watch the Video below about the US bombing of Japan before starting the assignment:
The questions below are for the pre-briefing you have to complete before your meeting with the President and his cabinet. You will need to do some research to find the answers to these questions.
Answer the following questions in a 2-2.5 page written summary in preparation for your meeting:
- The man in the video is Robert S. Mac Namara: What was his role in the Fire Bombing of Japan?
- Recently, the Battle of Iwo Jima and Okinawa had been fought. What was the outcome of those battles?
- Fact Check:
- How many Japanese Troops were involved in the Battle of Okinawa? How many Japanese Troops Surrendered?
- How many Japanese Troops were involved in the Battle of Iwo Jima? How many Japanese Troops Surrendered?
- What is Operation Downfall ?
- What is the Objective of this future Operation?
- How many US troop and allied troop are to be engaged in the entire operation?
- What are the projected losses on both sides, both military and civilian losses?
- What is the Manhattan Project , “Gadget?”
President Truman and all the members of the meeting go over the information you’ve gathered. The generals and the secretaries lay out the options very clearly:
- Use the “Manhattan Gadget”
- Proceed with “Operation Downfall”
The other members walk out of the room and the President asks you to stay behind. The President looks you straight in the eyes and says, “My goal is to end this war, what would you recommend? What should I do?
In .5 – 1 page give your answer to the President and explain your rationale based on the facts that you’ve collected.
What would you recommend?
Review your research and make your recommendation with a supporting argument to justify your position.
12 point, Calibri Font, 1″ Margins
Submit in Word
Should be pasted into the Word document if possible.
APA referencing system is necessary in assignments, especially material copied from the Internet.
For examples of correct citations, visit the following links:
All types of papers including essays, college papers, research papers, theses, etc., and other custom-written materials which EssayTutorHub.com provides to the customers are exclusively for the purpose of assistance. All these texts are unique and can be further used with proper references only.