explanation of how one social movement defined either the decade of the 1980s or the decade of the 1990s..
Discussion: The 80s and the 90s: Social Movements that Defined a Decade
As the United States entered the 1980s, race and gender issues continued to take center stage, but other concerns also became the focus of many grassroots activists. From HIV/AIDS awareness to the environment, activists challenged local, state, and federal authorities and big business to improve the way of life for humans, animals, and the earth. In many cases, their activism not only raised awareness, but also spurred increasing government intervention.
For this week’s Discussion, you will identify a social movement that you believe defined a decade.
In preparation for this Discussion:
- Review this week’s Learning Resources. With these issues providing context for this time period, consider the many social change movements and issues that emerged or escalated during the 1980s and 1990s, including:
- Quality of education (A Nation at Risk)
- Access to health care
- War on drugs
- Gender inequalities (the feminization of poverty)
- Ongoing civil rights movements
- Gay rights
- AIDS activism
- Environmental issues
- Urban and rural poverty
- Using the Walden Library and other reliable resources, research these varied issues and movements to gain an overview of the breadth of concerns that impacted Americans in the 1980s and 90s. Consider the background of each and the populations that were impacted.
- What changes have occurred regarding these issues?
- What impact, if any, did these movements have on the United States and the world?
- With these considerations in mind, select a movement that you think defined either the 1980s or the 1990s.
With these thoughts in mind:
Post a response to the Discussion Spark post. Your response should contain at least two significant paragraphs. Identify a historical social, political, or economic issue from the 1980s or 1990s that continue to adversely affect the United States today. Has a movement emerged to successfully address this issue? If yes, what impact has it had? If no, why do you think that no substantial movement has evolved? continue to adversely affect the United States today. Has a movement emerged to successfully address this issue? If yes, what impact has it had? If no, why do you think that no substantial movement has evolved?
Post a 2- to 3-paragraph explanation of how one social movement defined either the decade of the 1980s or the decade of the 1990s. Include in your posting a brief description of the movement, a rationale for its relevance, and the impact that this movement has had on the both the United States and the world
All types of papers including essays, college papers, research papers, theses, etc., and other custom-written materials which EssayTutorHub.com provides to the customers are exclusively for the purpose of assistance. All these texts are unique and can be further used with proper references only.